Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Looted Basilisk

I started working on my looted Basilisk, none of these pics were taken with the mini photo lab, sorry. I had decided I was not happy with the paint scheme I had on it, so I started over by stripping it and painting it a solid metallic color.


I then applied Liquid masking film to all of the friction areas, corners, edges, areas of damage etc.



after letting the masking film dry I painted on a camo scheme I  liked.



Once that dried I peeled off the masking film, I am pretty happy with how it came out, there is still quite a bit of work to do, put the Kommander back on and add some big shootas and some boys, but so far, here it is.






3 comments:

  1. nice work, it's a technique i've used in the past.

    although these days i tend to go with hairspray as i have more control after the fact.

    I would suggest that you give some of the detail on the camo a selective wash and drybrush.

    nothing too heavy in either case. but just to pick out the sculpted detail.

    I use mig washes, but any will do, brownish was i would say, just remember to go very light, water it down a lot. you can always add a bit more, you cant easily take it away,

    once thats dry hit it with a proper drybrush of a lghter colour. maybe even the tan base colour so it looks like the breen paint is wearing through, as in use a big soft brush and remove all the paint on a towell, i mean it, all of it. drybrushing is almost always overdone :)

    please dont take this as criticism, your tank looks great, it's just in my teachery nature to try and suggest other stuff one might do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I liked the original look I had with it, but it seemed to lack something.

    I have only just started learning about the hairspray thing, I have a few more to redo and weather, so I may try it on the next one.

    I have a dark brown wash I was going to use, just the basic G.W. one, I don't recall the name of the color. I've never done much with washes or inks, just various forms of dry brushing, so this whole re-paint is a learning experience for me, after seeing all the amazing things I've seen here I feel I need to step up my game.

    I do not mind advice in the slightest bit, in fact I appreciate all the tips and tricks, I love building but have never been very good with the painting, so any thing I can learn to step up my game I am happy to learn. As far as the teachery nature goes, I do the same thing with my Living history displays and projects.

    ReplyDelete